[Live-devel] buggy MPEG4 ES?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Oct 6 12:44:36 PDT 2006

>On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 14:57:43 +0300
>Maxim Petrov <max at code-it-now.com> wrote:
>
>>  I've added little path to MPEG4VideoStreamFramer.cpp:
>
>Seems good to me. Ross?

Yes, this patch looks OK.  It will be included in the next release of
the source code.

>But I think it's not the task of Live555 to parse an mpeg4 stream.

When we're reading a MPEG-4 stream from a file (i.e., not as discrete
frames), we need to parse the stream in order to figure out where
'visual objects' etc. start and end.  This is so we can pack data
into the outgoing RTP packets correctly.  (We also need to parse
timing information, so we can set the RTP timestamp correctly.)

You're correct, though, that the most detailed parsing of the MPEG-4
data is left to decoders.