[Live-devel] Bug: "Unable to find emulated OSS device"

Fredrik Persson frepe at bredband.net
Sat Oct 28 10:56:18 PDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 10:36 -0700, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> >wis-streamer currently does not work on a large number of systems due to
> >a bug in sscanf.
>
> If that's the case, then it's "sscanf()" that should be fixed.

Agreed. And my bug report to Ubuntu is a step in that direction.

>   The
> code for it is Open Source - just like "wis-streamer".  It should be
> possible - by looking at the code - to figure out *exactly* what is
> going wrong.

Agreed. The question is, who is going to do that?

> Again, it would be better to have first identified *exactly* what the
> problem is.  Remember, You Have Complete Source Code.

I do have the complete source, but if I did identify exactly what was
wrong with every faulty piece of open source software that I use, which
happens daily, I would not have time to eat, sleep or work for the next
thousand years.

My problem, which was to run wis-streamer, is solved. I don't care about
this issue anymore.

Your problem, although you don't seem to perceive this as a problem, is
that your software currently does not function on one of the worlds
largest linux distributions out there, Ubuntu 6.10 (released two days
ago), is not solved.

/Fredrik Persson