[Live-devel] Bug: "Unable to find emulated OSS device"

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Oct 28 10:36:33 PDT 2006

>wis-streamer currently does not work on a large number of systems due to
>a bug in sscanf.

If that's the case, then it's "sscanf()" that should be fixed.  The
code for it is Open Source - just like "wis-streamer".  It should be
possible - by looking at the code - to figure out *exactly* what is
going wrong.

>There is a workaround to handle this in a previous post to the list:

I'm not going to consider adding this 'workaround' to the code unless
and until someone explains/convinces me of all of the following:
1/ Exactly what the bug is that is causing this.
2/ That a lot of people really are affected by this bug (in
particular, that the bug is not just in one version of the runtime
library code that has subsequently been fixed).
3/ That the proposed 'workaround' is the best way to overcome the
problem, and that there are no other instances of the problem (e.g.,
in the other places where "sscanf()" is called) in the "wis-streamer"
code (or, for that matter, anywhere in the "LIVE555 Streaming Media"
code).

>I have filed a bug report with Ubuntu, hoping that they will escalate to
>the libc developers:

Again, it would be better to have first identified *exactly* what the
problem is.  Remember, You Have Complete Source Code.