[Live-devel] LIVE version control

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Tue Oct 31 02:43:31 PST 2006

xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com wrote:
> Can you tell me anything about what sort of inspection, testing, and
> approval patches go through before they become an official part of the
> LIVE555 library?
Realistically you will have to reverse this line of thinking.

Could you set up inspection, testing and approval processes
in your organisation that satisfy the people you report to?

Even if Ross gave a detailed answer to your question how
would it assure you that the software is suitable for your
particular requirements?

I think you need to either go on trust or create some
acceptance criteria on your side and test/upgrade as
often as can be justified by the business.

If it's any help, they are wrong to think that the latest
version of Live555 is unstable. That would only be the
case if there was significant new development going on
which is not the case. It's my understanding that new
development is often customer driven and well tested
before being rolled in to the free releases. But again,
how could any of this satisfy your organisation without
you doing the testing yourself?

Dermot.