[Live-devel] Basic Understanding

Daniel Graupner Daniel at smartcast.org
Fri Sep 1 06:39:07 PDT 2006

Hello,

since there is no real documentation for the library, I want to describe my
use case and my understanding of liveMedia. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The program I want to use liveMedia for is a Multicast streaming server that
allows to define an arbitrary number of streams that are started and stopped
according to a specific time definition.
The streaming part is done by liveMedia, we want to support "all" formats
supported by liveMedia, for the first version we will focus on mp3.

Some statements for using live libs in this project (please correct if wrong):
- we have to derive our own UsageEnvironment to handle messages from the lib
- the UsageEnvironment seems to be responsible for logging and has a unique
instance of the TaskScheduler (the only one needed)
- we need one Instance of our UsageEnvironment together with one TaskScheduler
Instance
- Input-Output-Chains connected to this environment can be startet and stopped
in seperate threads,  so I can create them at program start and start/stop
them within their thread based on our time definition

Some thoughts about the UsageEnvironment:
Why are there different setResultMsg functions? Do they have different
semantic meanings? What kind of messages are used together with this
functions (INFO, WARNINg, CONFIG)?

My understanding of error reporting is as follows:
1. special return values of function/method calls of the libs
2. setResultErrMsg(MsgString msg) and then reportBackgroundError() is called
What is the result of an error? I need to know if the stream stops after this
error, why the error occured, etc. How can I accomplish this?

Aditionally to the setResultMsg methods there are the << operators, when are
they used,what kind of output do they produce?

OK, for our first version  can find help in testMP3Streamer.cpp...
- create a groupsock
- create source and sink
- start playing on sink

Thanks for answers,