[Live-devel] Basic Understanding

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Sep 3 18:28:04 PDT 2006

>Some statements for using live libs in this project (please correct if wrong):
>- we have to derive our own UsageEnvironment to handle messages from the lib

Not necessarly.  For many (most?) developers, the supplied subclass
"BasicUsageEnvironment" (which outputs diagnostic/error messages to
stderr) is sufficient.

>- the UsageEnvironment seems to be responsible for logging and has a unique
>instance of the TaskScheduler (the only one needed)

Yes.

>- we need one Instance of our UsageEnvironment together with one TaskScheduler
>Instance

Yes.

>- Input-Output-Chains connected to this environment can be startet and stopped
>in seperate threads

No!  Please read the FAQ!

>Some thoughts about the UsageEnvironment:
>Why are there different setResultMsg functions? Do they have different
>semantic meanings?

No, but they have different parameter signatures (the number of strings).

If you're confused about how these are used, then I suggest looking
at various places within the code where they are used.