[Live-devel] Capturing H.264 content with openRTSP

David Arnold darnold at futurec.net
Thu Sep 7 10:18:32 PDT 2006

We need to capture streaming H.264 content with openRTSP.  In this case, we
are using openRTSP as a recorder.

The problem is that there is no way to distinguish NAL units in the saved
file (video-H264-1) created by openRTSP. VLC cannot play this file.  The
file is basically unusable.  The byte stream format prefix (0 0 0 1) as
described in annex B of ISO 14496-10 has been removed by our H.264
DeviceSource and openRTSP simply captures raw NAL units and saves them.

Do I need to write a H264FileSink class to reinsert the byte stream format
prefix as described in annex B of ISO 14496-10 and use this class in
playCommon.cpp or is our DeviceSource class doing something incorrectly?

Ideally, we would like to capture the media in a QuickTime container file,
but the QuickTimeFileSink does not currently support H.264 content.  What
would I need to do to QuickTimeFileSink so that QuickTime would be able to
play the container file correctly?

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Dave Arnold
Future Concepts, La Verne

The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication other than to the person or entity named above is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately delete it from your system.