[Live-devel] time duration in H264 streaming

Li bz paul_li20 at yahoo.com.cn
Thu Sep 7 12:19:05 PDT 2006

Hi Ross,

I am trying to use the H264VideoSink to do H.264
streaming. I know I have to analyze the H.264 video
stream to get the NAL unit, then stream it according
to RFC3984.

After I get the NAL unit from the H.264 video file, I
have one question about how to calculate the time
duration between two frame of the video, which relates
to the timestamps of RTP packets when I stream them.
For those packets belonging to the first frame,  I
choose the random time for the RTP packets which
belongs to the first frame,  however, for those
packets belonging to second frame or later frames, I
can not get any information from the H.264 video
elementary stream. I did the experientment by using
the time duration according to frame rate(25 or 30), I
can stream  some H.264 video stream file, but the
playing speed is obviously not right. I should get the
accurate time duration from the video file, but I
don't know where to find these information.  Can you
give me some idea how to get the time duration between
consecutive access unit of H.264 video? Is there any
place that  I missed
in understanding RFC3984?

Thanks in advance.

Paul