[Live-devel] Out of order packets

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Sep 15 00:58:23 PDT 2006

>We are using LIVE server (testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer.cpp) and client
>(testMPEG1or2VideoReceiver.cpp) to stream MPEG data. We found that when the
>sequence number is wrapped around, and when the server sends out of order
>packets

Our server code should not be sending out-of-order packets!  It's
always possible that the network (between the server and client) may
reorder some packets, but the server should not be sending them out
of order.

>, the calculation of newSeqNum is found to be wrong in the function
>noteIncomingPacket() in file RTPSource.cpp. For example, when the server
>starts sending the stream with sequence number starting from 65000 and the
>sequence number is wrapped wround, and when the server try to send the out
>of order packet, for example, with the sequence number 65500, then the
>calculation of newSeqNum seems to be wrong. We need to store this out of
>order packet with the sequence number 65500 in the correct order. Since this
>calculation gives some incorrect value, this out of order packet is getting
>stored in a wrong place.

I don't understand the problem that you're referring to.  I suspect
that you are misunderstanding the purpose of the
"noteIncomingPacket()" function (note that it just records
*statistics*; it doesn't actually store the packet).

If you have a specific example (illustrated with a specific series of
incoming sequence numbers) that demonstrates the 'problem', then let
us know (with a detailed explanation of what you think the problem
is).