[Live-devel] Benchmarking

xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com
Wed Apr 11 12:31:29 PDT 2007

Try calling "increaseReceiveBufferTo()" on the socket with a value
larger than the default (51200==50*1024, called in
"MultiFramedRTPSource.cpp", line 73).  This call sets the size of the
OS's internal buffer for receiving incoming packets.

Re:  I have already increased this buffer to 102,400,000.  I am checking
the return value of the increaceReceiveBufferTo() function also to see that
the buffer was changed correctly.  I decided to make it rediculously huge
to see if it helped.   Changing the buffer size does help, but it does not
fix the problem.  RTCP RR still reports periodic packet loss - even when
writing to /dev/null.  I edited MultiFramedRTPSource to print out the RTP
ReorderingPacketBuffer.fNextExpectedSeqNo when this happens and verified
that the missing RTP packets existed using ethereal. I think you suggested
changing the buffer size to me before when I was asking about missing RTP
packets a couple of months ago.  I do not think the  problem is with the
LIVE, so I am reaching a lot to think about things which could be OS
related, like this information about select being slow.

Xochitl