[Live-devel] Subclass FramedFilter for transcoding

Julian Lamberty julian.lamberty at mytum.de
Wed Apr 18 02:17:25 PDT 2007

Hi!

I'm still working on a solution for transcoding RTP streams. What I'm
trying to achieve is:

1: Receiving one (or more) RTP/RTSP network streams

2: Feeding that streams into an ffmpeg transcoding unit

3: Streaming the transcoded content again via RTP/RTSP

Thanks to your help I already tried to implement a subclass of
FramedFilter to do that, but I still have several questions (maybe some
of them rather ffmpeg related, but I'll try here anyway ;)):

1: What kind of "packets" does a SimpleRTPSource deliver (and what does
a SimpleRTPSink expect) and how can I pass the packets/frames (?) to
ffmpeg (i.e. an AVPacket)?

2:  If I use an SimpleRTPSource as input and an SimpleRTPSink object as
output (I try to stay general as much as possible as I want my
transcoder to handle many formats), which tasks will be left to the
ffmpeg part? Do I also have to care about demuxing/muxing? In principle
I'm stuck at the question of how to exchange data between the livemedia
part and the ffmpeg part.

3: Can I use ffmpeg to detect the format of the incoming stream? If yes,
how can I get the data on initialization of the Transcoder class (I at
least need one received packet, right)?

4: Last but not least a simple question concerning this mailing list:
How do I reply to a post? Do I simply use "Re: ..." as subject?

Thank you very much for your help!
Julian Lamberty