[Live-devel] problem when using Ethernet over USB (RNDIS) for streaming

David Ohayon david at embedded-sol.com
Thu Apr 19 08:11:19 PDT 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the answer.

I have checked if multicast packets transmitted by the device are visible on
the PC running the viewer using Ethereal network protocol analyzer. The
packets are visible. I also noticed that the self address of the streamer is
determined by transmitting a multicast packet and when receiving it,
extracting the sender address from it. This part works OK (I am aware of the
WINCE multicast bug and its workaround, so I forced a 'correct' multicast
address).

I compared the packets captured when the RNDIS connection was active (the
connection that does not work) to those captured when the ordinary Ethernet
connection was active but could not see something that looked significant to
me.

A screen capture of the Ethereal window (jpg) and the capture files (*.cap -
helpful if Ethereal is installed) can be found here:

IP addresses when RNDIS is in use:

   100.0.0.130 - the streaming device - running windows CE 5.0

   100.0.0.4    -  The viewing device    - running windows XP service pack 2

http://www.embedded-sol.com/Rndis/rndis.jpg

http://www.embedded-sol.com/Rndis/rndis3.cap

http://www.embedded-sol.com/Rndis/ethernet1.cap

Thanks,