[Live-devel] Live555 MPEG2 Transport Stream packet loss

Glen Gray glen at lincor.com
Mon Apr 23 08:24:34 PDT 2007

May or may not be relevant, but we had problems before with packet sizes
and MPEG2 transport streamns that where not a multiple of 188, so we
settled on 1316 (188*7) packet size.

This was with a different server setup but with VLC using liveMedia as
the rtsp client.

ilya77 at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We've tried to use Live555 media server (win32) with various max packet
> size configurations (we've compiled the server with each change) with an
> MPEG2 transport stream we've received from a customer over a WAN, and
> while the same configurations worked flawlessly in a LAN environment,
> sniffing the RTP stream delivered over a WAN (over ATM + NAT router)
> with ethereal discovered a lot of lost packets (and as a result -
> degradation in picture quality, artefacts and smearing where motion
> occurred).
> We've tried different files with various bitrates, so I am pretty much
> sure bandwidth is not the issue.
> The RTP transport was delivered over TCP, and we've used VLC as the
> client application.
> We've tried the default max packet size, and the following: 1400, 1300,
> 1350, 1340, 1330 bytes per packet (not including overhead). Interesting
> is that the stream would not play when max packet size was set below 1330.
>
> Could anyone refer me to any resource which would help me to solve the
> problem? Searching google didn't produce any helpful results, and since
> we are not experts on RTSP/RTP/MPEG2-TS, digging into the source code
> didn't help much either...
>
> Many thanks,
> Ilya

Glen Gray <glen at lincor.com>              Digital Depot, Thomas Street
Senior Software Engineer                            Dublin 8, Ireland
Lincor Solutions Ltd.                          Ph: +353 (0) 1 4893682