[Live-devel] Live555 MPEG2 Transport Stream packet loss

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Apr 22 10:45:14 PDT 2007

>and while the same configurations worked flawlessly in a LAN
>environment, sniffing the RTP stream delivered over a WAN (over ATM
>+ NAT router) with ethereal discovered a lot of lost packets (and as
>a result - degradation in picture quality, artefacts and smearing
>where motion occurred).
>We've tried different files with various bitrates, so I am pretty
>much sure bandwidth is not the issue.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that bandwidth *is* the issue.  If you have
no packet loss when streaming over a LAN, but get packet loss when
streaming over a WAN, then the problem is almost certainly that your
stream is too high-bandwidth for your WAN (and/or perhaps its
routers).

I.e., you have a network problem, not a problem with our software.