[Live-devel] Implicit RTSP session timeout

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Aug 4 02:58:37 PDT 2007

The timeout interval (i.e., how long the server waits before timing
out a session due to client inactivity) is something that is
determined by the *server*, not by the client.  The default timeout
is 45 seconds; however, you can change this (in the
"reclamationTestSeconds" parameter to "RTSPServer::createNew()"; see
"liveMedia/include/RTSPServer.hh").

Our server implementation currently does not announce this timeout
parameter in its "Session:" responses (as specified in section 12.37
of RFC 2326).  However, it probably should; this might get fixed in a
future release of the software.

However, I don't think a client could really do much that is useful
should it see this parameter.  Client 'liveness' is indicated by RTCP
"RR" packets, which the client sends frequently already.

In other words, I don't think there is a problem here that needs fixing.