[Live-devel] Implicit RTSP session timeout

Juha Ylipekkala jylipekk at ee.oulu.fi
Sat Aug 4 03:31:49 PDT 2007

Hi again,

On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 02:58:37AM -0700, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> However, I don't think a client could really do much that is useful
> should it see this parameter.  Client 'liveness' is indicated by RTCP
> "RR" packets, which the client sends frequently already.
>
> In other words, I don't think there is a problem here that needs fixing.

Well, the RR packets are sent through one of the UDP channels, which leaves the
TCP connection to timeout on its own after 120 seconds, causing the server in
the other end to close the RTP streams. That's what I could deduce from the
traces with wireshark.

The server is not using live555, you can try it out at
rtsp://stream2.asm.fi/tv512.sdp.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Is the server side acting funny? Because
that's where the TCP FIN comes from.

Cheers,

--
Juha Ylipekkala