[Live-devel] Time to RTCP sync

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Aug 6 16:34:48 PDT 2007

>I have a client and server running on an embedded system, one with
>an AVC encoder and one with an AVC decoder.  All is working well
>except for the time it takes for the streams to be synchronized
>using RTCP - once the connection is initiated it takes several
>seconds for the sync to occur.  Our server also interoperates with
>VLC and I have observed that their RTP client starts presentation
>much sooner than our embedded client (the time to get first sequence
>and picture parameter set is equal here).  Can anyone give me some
>insight as to what parameters can be adjusted to make this
>synchronization occur more quickly and explain the various tradeoffs.

Make sure that the "totSessionBW" parameter to
"RTCPInstance::createNew()" is reasonably accurate.  It should be the
bandwidth of the (audio or video) stream, in kilobits-per-second.  If
you set this parameter too low, then RTCP reports from the server
will be sent less frequently than they should be.