[Live-devel] Is this possible with live-devel lib?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Aug 14 14:11:31 PDT 2007

>Okay,
>My streaming receiver hardware cannot handle the rtsp protocoll (only rtp),
>but i would like to use the functions like seek,pause,resume etc on
>the serverside.
>To utilize functions like seek etc, is that what's kalled "trick play"?
>Is that possible with http streaming?
>
>Sorry to bother you with stupid questions, but I would really
>appreciate any help I can get.
>
>To set things straight, this is my setup:
>
>[Hardware streaming client] <---- TCP/IP -----> [Streaming Server]
><--- TCP/IP----> [Remote control]
>
>So via the remote-controll I would like to seek, pause, play etc, and
>therefor the RTSP protocol is not an option (since it's not the
>streaming client that would request operations such as seek)

That's not correct.  You can use the RTSP protocol to control streams
that are sent to a third party RTP receiver (i.e., separate from the
RTSP client).  To support this, our RTSP server implementation must
be modified slightly  - search for
"RTSP_ALLOW_CLIENT_DESTINATION_SETTING" in "RTSPServer.cpp".  You
would also need to modify our RTSP client implementation to add a
"destination=" field in the RTSP "SETUP" command.