[Live-devel] Open Questions Regarding Directory Setup

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Aug 20 12:37:21 PDT 2007

>This question is a little basic, but I see an ability to setup a session
>for an entire folder.  I want to be able to set up one session for all
>the files in one folder, but from what I see it does not seem to work as
>I get a 404 stream not found.  Are there limits to what can be
>recognized as a valid rtsp command that does not specify a file, but
>instead specifies a directory?

A RTSP "DESCRIBE" command (and a subsequent "SETUP","PLAY") applies
only to a single, specific stream.  There is nothing in the RTSP
protocol that applies to a set of streams, e.g., multiple files in a
directory.  (In fact, the RTSP protocol has no concept of a
'directory' at all.)

If you want to - for example - list the files in a directory, then
you will need to use some other protocol, such as HTTP.