[Live-devel] MPEG-TS demuxer

Thomas Christensen tchristensen at nordija.com
Wed Aug 22 00:52:05 PDT 2007

On 22 Aug 2007, at 01:42, Ross Finlayson wrote:

>> It has been mentioned before on this mailling list that live555
>> contains a demuxer for program stream and not for transport streams
>> and I was wondering why.
>
> Because a Transport Stream demultiplexor was not needed for
> streaming.  MPEG Program Streams are streamed - via RTP - as separate
> RTP streams (one for audio; one for video), and so need to be
> demultiplexed into Elementary Streams before streaming.  However,
> MPEG Transport Streams, being more suited for overcoming data loss,
> are streamed 'as is', without demultiplexing.
I see. In testMPEG2TransportStreamer the MPEG-TS is streamed using
RTP. Doesn't RTP cover the same issues as MPEG-TS when it comes to
synchonisation and overcoming data loss?
I know it still doesn't make a good case for a transport stream
demultiplexor in a streaming library.

Thanks for your input

Thomas