[Live-devel] Video & Audio Properties at RTP Receivers

oscar lima oscar.youx at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 00:58:26 PST 2007

Hi Ralf,

I will be glad to share ideas, or even code with you.

> 2) Adding an extra parameter to the SDP file similar to the "RTP Payload Format for >JPEG > 2000 Video Streams":

This is not in the standard, and will be possible only if you use your
"custom" client and server. My goal is to have a universal (thus
Standard-compliant) implementation.

As Ross said in previous posts on this topic, we must have some extra
code (which is more related to Media Decoding than RTP and SDP)  that
discovers these information. There will be two cases, depending on the
media type :

1. For some codecs, (mainly MPEG4 (audio and video), QuickTime and
H.264), we need to parse the fmtp config param given in the SDP.

2. For the others, (H.261, H.263, .....), such information are
included in the payload or in the extra header (RTP payload format).
So I think we have to "Sniff" first RTP packets to retreive such
information.

I hope this will help,

Oscar