[Live-devel] Problem with VLC and wis-streamer

Bill Dolson bd at landform.com
Mon Dec 10 19:44:16 PST 2007

Ross,

Hope you don't mind if I don't bottom post.  This seems to be a cardinal
sin on FFmpeg-devel and vlc-devel.  Anyway thanks for your help.

> No, your NAT is making this way too complicated!
Agreed. but we're (I'm) stuck with it.  Not even mine, another vendor
I'm trying to integrate with.

>>   Simple question:  As
>> per the RFC, should the RTCP RRs go to the IP in the original rtsp://...
>> or to the IP reported as the Content-Base
> The latter.
So, the "working" FFmpeg is actually in error.  Somehow I suspected
this.  Maybe they were anticipating this scenario, or were just lazy...

> Here's the problem:
>
>> Received DESCRIBE response: RTSP/1.0 200 OK
>> CSeq: 2
>> Date: Tue, Dec 11 2007 01:15:50 GMT
Yep, the bad news finally comes to light.

> But why is this happening??  That's my question.  How could the
> server possibly know about the private IP address 192.168.10.55?  I
> don't see how it can, so I don't see how it could be putting that
> address in the "Content-Base:" header in the RTSP "DESCRIBE"
> response.  So, is your NAT box intercepting and translating the
> contents of the "Content-Base:" header?  WTF??
Don't get paranoid on me Ross.  The "server" doesn't have a public IP.
It is behind a NAT (behind a consumer DSL modem) and doesn't even know
what it is NATed to.  The rtsp requests are being sent to the DSL
modem's IP.  Not my choice of setup but what I have been dealt.  The
joke is it almost works.  By disabling timeouts it sort of works.

> Suggestion: You might be able to overcome your brain-damaged NAT box
> by putting a domain name, rather than an IP address, in the original
> "rtsp://" URL.
No domain names here.  Not even any static IPs.  But the fact that this
almost works from this pathetic configuration is somehow encouraging.

Anyway, not to hijack a thread, but I may get back to you on looking at
how to add private data streams (containing geospatial camera
positioning data) to RTSP.

Thanks again for the help and most importantly thanks for the excellent
work on the Live555 stuff.

Best,
Bill