[Live-devel] Problem with VLC and wis-streamer

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Dec 10 21:15:26 PST 2007

>The "server" doesn't have a public IP.
>It is behind a NAT (behind a consumer DSL modem) and doesn't even know
>what it is NATed to.

Yes, that's the problem.  In general, you can't expect a RTSP sorry
to work if it's behind a NAT.  The IETF is working on overcoming
this, but for now that's just the way it is.  Sorry.  (If only the
RTSP *client* is behind a NAT - the setup that I originally thought
you had - then that has more chance of working.)

>   The rtsp requests are being sent to the DSL
>modem's IP.  Not my choice of setup but what I have been dealt.  The
>joke is it almost works.  By disabling timeouts it sort of works.

Yes, count yourself lucky that it works at all.  (You could also
remove the "Content-Base:" header from the RTSP "OK" response
("RTSPServer.cpp", line 511).)  And of course, RTP-over-TCP, which,
right now, is the highest-probability way to get RTSP/RTP across NATs.