[Live-devel] how to play received stream via mplayer in local

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Dec 12 20:53:12 PST 2007

>Dear,
>
>I have written a h264 media sender and receiver,
>and they can work successfully.
>
>But, so far, in receiver, frames are received and saved to a file.
>We always to play the file via mplayer.
>
>I am asking a question:
>how can I play streaming in the receiver local via mplayer?
>
>I tried "mplayer rtp://localhost:8888".

"rtp://" URLs are a non-standard hack, and work only for some media types.

For H.264 RTP streams, the media player client needs to get extra
codec and stream-specific information from the server before it can
play the stream, and for that you need RTSP.

So, you should add a RTSP server to your 'sender' application, and
play the stream using a "rtsp://" URL.