[Live-devel] Urgent help needed!

Victor Lee victor_l2000 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 2 16:12:35 PST 2007

Hi Ross,

We are trying to implement our system using livemedia for the RTSP server
part. I did not work long with livemedia, but have done something with this
great library. We hope that we can continue use livemedia lib.

The data flow for me is as follows:

MPEG file -> VLC, streaming out with RTP to a multicast address, output in
MPEG TS format -> RTP client receive the RTP packet, send data to
testOnDemandRTSPServer.
In testOnDemandRTSPServer, we tried to modify ByteStreamFileSource, and let
it accept the data sending from RTP client, instead of reading from a file.

Problem: the speed of reading in ByteStreamFileSource is slower than the
speed that RTP client sending out data, thus some data will be lost before
it can be processed in ByteStreamFileSource.

When the testOnDemandRTSPServer reads a stream from a file, it knows the
time to read and the amount of data it needs. The RTP Client who is sending
the source steam data out should be in a fixed speed.

Could you please answer my following questions and give me some suggestions?

1. Is testOnDemandRTSPServer/ByteStreamFileSource the right one I should use
to implement my application? If not, what should I use?
Should I use the way described in your FAQ about testOnDemandRTSPServer
taking input from a live source instead of from a file?

2. Can we control the speed in testOnDemandRTSPServer so that it is of the
same speed as the encoder's speed?

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks for your help and have a great weekend!

Victor