[Live-devel] Speex and RTP

Randy Schefiele scheifele2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 5 11:17:59 PST 2007

Hi -

I am currently working on a streaming server that is using RTSP, RTP, and SDP.  I have been able to successfully stream u-law encoded audio to a couple of players (VLC Media Player and RealPlayer).  However, I am currently testing my streaming server with Speex encoded files and I have been unable to find a player that can play back my Speex stream.  I was wondering if you could tell me (if I build the MPlayer with the Live555 software to support RTSP/RTP streaming) if receiving Speex encoded audio via RTP would work.

I had also noticed that VLC media player uses some Live555 software but I have been unsuccessful in getting VLC to play back my Speex stream.  If Live555 doesn't have the support for receiving Speex RTP streams I would like to help build that functionality if possible.

Also, if you know of any other way I can play back a Speex RTP stream I would greatly appreciate the advice!

Thanks in advance for your time  and response!
Randy Scheifele