[Live-devel] Speex and RTP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Feb 5 21:00:27 PST 2007

>Hi -
>
>I am currently working on a streaming server that is using RTSP, RTP, and SDP.

I hope you are using our software for this (note that the "LIVE555
Streaming Media" software includes a RTSP server implementation (as
well as a RTSP client).

>   I have been able to successfully stream u-law encoded audio to a
>couple of players (VLC Media Player and RealPlayer).  However, I am
>currently testing my streaming server with Speex encoded files and I
>have been unable to find a player that can play back my Speex
>stream.  I was wondering if you could tell me (if I build the
>MPlayer with the Live555 software to support RTSP/RTP streaming) if
>receiving Speex encoded audio via RTP would work.
>
>I had also noticed that VLC media player uses some Live555 software
>but I have been unsuccessful in getting VLC to play back my Speex
>stream.  If Live555 doesn't have the support for receiving Speex RTP
>streams I would like to help build that functionality if possible.
>
>Also, if you know of any other way I can play back a Speex RTP
>stream I would greatly appreciate the advice!

I haven't looked at the Speex RTP payload format specification for a
while, but I recall that it used to be very simple (with no extra
special headers in the RTP packet).  If that is still the case, then
it turns out that the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" code can already
receive Speex audio RTP streams, using the "SimpleRTPSource" class
(see line 782 of "liveMedia/MediaSession.cpp").  So, all that remains
is the ability to decode/play the incoming Speex audio stream.  Our
software does not include any codec (decoding) functionality - for
that, you will have to consult with the VLC and MPlayer developers.
It might be the case that they already include Speex decoding
software.  If so, then it will be very easy to feed this with the
incoming Speex audio data.  If not, then you will need to work with
them to add the Speex decoding software to those player.