[Live-devel] RTSPClient::describeURL authentication problems

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Feb 19 07:41:22 PST 2007

>  > 1. If authenticator is null and the url contains username:password@
>>  prefix before the host, then code calls describeWithPassword and
>>  ignores allowKasennaProtocol parameter.

Yes.  This is a 'problem' (in that "describeWithPassword()" currently
does not take a "allowKasennaProtocol" parameter, but probably
should).  Note, however, that the 'Kasenna' support is a non-standard
hack that will be removed from the code at some time in the future.
However, for now I will probably go ahead and add a
"allowKasennaProtocol" parameter to "describeWithPassword()".

>  > 2.  If authenticator is not null, then the code does not repeat
>  > sending the command.

The original idea here was that if "authenticator" is not NULL, then
it would contain a (username,password) pair that should supercede any
"username:password@" string in the URL.  However, the VLC code now
passes a (non-NULL) "authenticator", even if the user does not enter
a (username,password) in a dialog box.  So that's why the code is no
longer working for you.

Therefore, to solve your problem, would it be sufficient simply to remove the
	authenticator == NULL &&
from the "if" statement:
	if (authenticator == NULL
		&& parseRTSPURLUsernamePassword(url, username, password)) {
so that it instead just says:
	if (parseRTSPURLUsernamePassword(url, username, password)) {
???

I.e., if the RTSP URL contains a "username:password@", then it would
now supercede any (username,password) in the "authenticator".

Let me know if this would work for you?