[Live-devel] RTSPClient::describeURL authentication problems

Igor Bukanov igor at mir2.org
Tue Feb 20 02:03:27 PST 2007

On 19/02/07, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com> wrote:
> Yes - I will shortly be updating the LIVE555 code to add a 'kasenna'
> flag to "describeWithPassword()", and then submit a patch to VLC to
> use "describeWithPassword()" instead of "describeURL()" (if there are
> already username,password strings), and to not pass its own
> 'authenticator' object.

Today I figured out that describeWithPassword() would not work when
VLC provides own authentication dialog box. In that case one wants to
show the dialog only when the server replied to DECRIBE and supplied
realm. Then one needs to repeat the describe generating proper
authentication header based on realm and just entered
username/password. But describeWithPassword() does not allow that. So
vlc needs to use describeURL().

Regards, Igor