[Live-devel] RTSPClient::describeURL authentication problems

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Feb 20 02:22:34 PST 2007

>On 19/02/07, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com> wrote:
>>  Yes - I will shortly be updating the LIVE555 code to add a 'kasenna'
>>  flag to "describeWithPassword()", and then submit a patch to VLC to
>>  use "describeWithPassword()" instead of "describeURL()" (if there are
>>  already username,password strings), and to not pass its own
>>  'authenticator' object.
>
>Today I figured out that describeWithPassword() would not work when
>VLC provides own authentication dialog box. In that case one wants to
>show the dialog only when the server replied to DECRIBE and supplied
>realm. Then one needs to repeat the describe generating proper
>authentication header based on realm and just entered
>username/password. But describeWithPassword() does not allow that.

Actually it does, by first sending a "DESCRIBE", that will probably
fail (but with a realm included in the response), and then by sending
another "DESCRIBE" with the updated authenticator (that includes the
realm).

I.e., when used with VLC, it the user doesn't supply a
(username,password) in advance, then *three* RTSP "DESCRIBE"s will be
sent: one initially (which will fail triggering VLC to pop up its
dialog box to ask for the (username,password)), and then two more
afterwards (to implement "describeWithPassword()").  This is slightly
inefficient, but it should work.