[Live-devel] RTSP ANNOUNCE support?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Feb 22 17:56:55 PST 2007

>I'm wondering if there is any support for the RTSP ANNOUNCE method in
>the liveMedia library?

No, nor are there any plans to support it in the future.  Almost
nobody implements the RTSP "ANNOUNCE" command (in either clients or
servers), and in fact it is no longer mentioned in the updated "RTSP
2.0" specification
<http://www.rtsp.org/2004/drafts/draft06/draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc2326bis-06.txt>
that is currently being standardized by the IETF.

>I'm likely going to work on
>upgrading VLC's use of your libraries to support interleaved RTSP/RTP
>over TCP in their Video on Demand (VOD) feature, and I'd also like to
>implement RTSP/RTP tunneled over HTTP for NAT traversal for QuickTime
>Player.

Do you realize that:
1/ Our RTSP client support already implements RTP-over-TCP, including
HTTP tunneling.
2/ Our RTSP server support already supports RTP-over-TCP (but not yet
including HTTP tunneling, although support for this will be added
shortly)
3/ VLC currently uses the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" libraries only to
implement its RTSP *client* support, not to implement its RTSP
*server* support.