[Live-devel] Query regarding video streaming of MPEG file

Ritesh Mittal ritsgenx at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 23:32:38 PST 2007

Hi,

I have been working on Live555 for around 4 days. Its really an interesting
Open source media server. I have few queiries and it will be great if you
can help me:

1. Using the testonDemandRTPServer.cpp i have been able to stream .MPEG
files (MPEG1, MPEG-2) files. But there exist test code for
    a. // A MPEG-1 or 2 audio+video program stream
    b. // A MPEG-1 or 2 video elementary stream

  So, my question is what is the mail difference between MPEG program stream
and MPEG elementary stream.

 2. According to the documentaion of Live555 RTSP streaming is supported by
the following clients :

    a. QuickTime
    b. VLC
    c. Real Player

  Can anyone suggest any other (either proprietary or free / open source or
paid) media client that support rtsp stream from Live555 server.

3. I have personally tried streaming on following file extension:

     .mpeg, .dat. .wav, .mp3

  My third question is on what other file extension Live555 support
streaming. Specially i want to know about file .avi, .3gp and .mp4

4. Is this possible to inform the client machine that on which player this
stream needs to be play. For examle it is possible to inform the client
machine that this video stream should be played by Real Player. Can we make
some changes in the source code of Live555 for the same.

Thanks. I will be waiting for your reply.

Regards,
Ritesh Mittal