[Live-devel] Parser and Framer

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Jan 5 07:35:12 PST 2007

>I have some enquiries regarding parser and framer function.
>
>A parser is used when the video/ audio data is a file and to split
>the data into frames. If the encoder produces frames directly
>instead of writing to a file, the parser can be skipped when
>streaming. Is this true?

Yes.  This is the purpose of "MPEG1or2VideoStreamDiscreteFramer" and
"MPEG4VideoStreamDiscreteFramer", for example.  (In practice, these
classes will do a small amount of 'parsing' within each frame, to get
timing information that's used to compute presentation times.  See
the *DiscreteFramer classes for examples of this.  However, they
won't need to do any parsing to actually find the start and end of
each frame; that information is already given to them.

>A framer is to frame the frames produced by the encoder such that
>they contained information like fFramesize, fPresentationTime. Is
>this true.

Yes.