[Live-devel] streaming with Real Player/QuickTime player

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jan 8 11:01:01 PST 2007

>Is it possible to stream to Real Player from OnDemandRTSPServer?

This depends on the codec that your streaming.  When RealNetworks
came out with "Real Player version 10" a couple of years ago, its
support for playing standard RTSP/RTP streams was badly broken.  I
found that it could now play only a few codecs; I'm not sure if
H.263+ was one of them.

For this reason, I no longer consider "Real Player" a credible client.

QuickTime Player - on the other hand - is a lot more standards
compliant.  I have found that it plays H.263+ video streams OK, so
I'm surprised that you have had problems with this.

(Of course, to stream H.263 video, you will have needed to modify the
existing "testOnDemandRTSPServer" code to use a
"H263plusVideoFileServerMediaSubsession" (and to read from a H.263+
Elementary Steam video file).)