[Live-devel] Delay in streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jan 24 17:27:21 PST 2007

>Hi guys,
>
>I am currently using MPEG2 -TS to stream video encoded using H.264. However,
>I experienced long delay at the receiver (approx 30sec). The encoder was
>unlikely to be the casue of the delay as we had set it to the bare minimum
>and to a profile which supported low delay for real time.
>
>It was suspected the delay was virtual (livemedia buffer) as the vlc
>reported that the frames are delivered late. Bandwidth should not be the
>problem as we used a wireless router to stream directly from pc to pc.
>
>Did anyone experience this problem before? Please advise.

This is a VLC issue - not an issue with our libraries; any follow-up
emails should be sent to a VLC mailing list.

Note that you can control the size (latency) of VLC's playout buffer
on the command line, using the "--rtsp-caching" option - e.g.,
	vlc --rtsp-caching 100
to get a 100 ms buffer.

I think the default value for this is 1200 - i.e., 1.2 seconds.

You can also set this buffer size from the GUI - i.e.
	 Preferences... -> Demuxers ->  RTSP/RTP
	Then click the "advanced options" check box
	Then change "caching value (ms)"