[Live-devel] ServerMediaSession.patch

Andrew Voznytsa andrew.voznytsa at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 05:14:13 PST 2007

Ross Finlayson wrote:
>> c) It is not possible to solve my problem as you propose, removing
>> exisint session and creating a new one, because in my case it is
>> possible to change source of live content on the fly, in run time,
>> without stopping streaming. Therefore there is only one possible way to
>> update s=/i= - generate new SDP as I proposed before.
>
> The best solution here would be to add - to "ServerMediaSession" -
> new member functions to allow changing the "info" and "description"
> strings.  These will be easy to do, and I'll probably add them at
> some point (perhaps in time for the next software release).

I need to think how to resolve design issues. If I decided to recreate
session object instead of patching each new version of liveMedia
(patching should be easy - I don't expect that
ServerMediaSession.[hh,cpp] will be frequently changed) then I will add
member functions to allow changing the "info" and "description" strings
at run time and send you new patch.

> However, I still don't see much motivation for adding a member
> function to remove "ServerMediaSubsession" objects from a
> "ServerMediaSession" so I'm not going to add complexity to the code
> by doing this anytime soon (if its only purpose is to make one
> hobbyist project a little easier).

Actually agree - both solutions (mine and yours) are a bit ugly. I think
something else will be found at the end.

> (BTW, I don't understand why you're dealing with the Darwin Streaming
> Server at all.  We have a perfectly good RTSP server implementation
> (that uses the "ServerMediaS(ubs)ession" objects that you're
> creating), so you should just use that.  In any case, if you really

I did not fully explain what my software is. You can think about as
DirectShow-based encoder application, which can use file or capture
device as media source, encode content into specified format, save it
into file or push to network (unicast/multicast) describing streamed
content using SDP file. In network case _any_ client, which supports
initialization through .sdp file, could be used to receive broadcast.

My other project uses "ServerMediaS(ubs)ession" objects plus RTSPServer
to build specialized streaming server. You even get patches (initiated
by http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2006-August/004937.html).

> want to relay through a Darwin Streaming Server, then you could use
> our "DarwinInjector" class (and note the "*Darwin*" test programs
> that use this).)

Actually disagree - in case of DarwinInjector you use RTSP ANNOUNCE and
if I understood it correctly - upload file to server's side (I saw some
comment in your code saying that I need write access to Darwin's movie
directory). In my case it works like true relay, without temporal
storage. Also DarwinIbject is much more limited solution than mine (i.e.
you won't be able to play content without having Darwin server).

--
Best regards,
Andrew Voznytsa