[Live-devel] Mpeg 2 ts trickplay

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jan 29 00:50:55 PST 2007

>I have some questions regarding the mpeg 2 ts trickplay.
>Whenever a pause, or rewind or a forward is issued, i
>read the last I frame that was sent from an I frames file.
>(i separate out the I frames as ts packets are sent).
>Generate the ts packets and stream them.
>Ok, sounds fine till this point (i hope).
>NOW, when in normal streaming the PCR difference
>is abt 33 ms. But when in trickplay ,i insert any random PCR value
>at the start (and also set the discontinuity indicator) and
>increment ithe PCR by 40 ms (mpeg2,frame rate = 25)
>for every i frame.
>So PCRs are present only at the start of every I frame. They never
>come in between.
>I m streaming it to an amino set up box. It's working fine.
>I would like to know whether it is efficient.
>And regarding pause, i keep on sending same frame . is this fine too?
>I pipe the output of my program to live555 mpeg2tsFramer, basic udpsink.

I'm confused.  Are you referring to the support for MPEG-2 Transport
Stream 'trick play' (using 'index files') that was recently added to
the released "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software (see
<http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/transport-stream-trick-play.html>),
or are you instead referring to some new software that you wrote
yourself that intends to do the same thing?  (If it's the latter,
then I'm not going to be able to help you - we can only provide
support for the original software that you download from our web
site.)