[Live-devel] Increasing UDP packet sizes for streaming MPEG video?

Hernandez, Fernando fherna04 at harris.com
Mon Jul 2 13:36:17 PDT 2007

Hello,

I have a question about MPEG video streaming and UDP packet sizes.

I'm working on a server application which does up to two streams of 10
Mbit/sec HD MPEG video, and have been running into performance problems.
The problems occur because the system is already under a moderate load
from a few other things it has to do, and starting a play session of 10
Mbit video will max out at around 6 - 7 Mbit/sec.  The throughput of the
line isn't the problem, as this is run over a GigE interface.  When run
by themselves, the video playback threads reach the full 10 Mb/sec rate.

Grabbing an Ethernet trace of the data as it comes in shows the data in
UDP packets coming across the line with data payloads of 1328 bytes.  I
am interested in increasing this to a few dozen kb at least, in order to
improve performance, but where should I look to find the code that deals
with this?  The way it is structured right now, the server has to push
out around two thousand UDP messages per second to maintain the desired
rate, and reducing the number of messages should help throughput.  Is
this feasible with a little work on my end?

Thanks for any direction that you can provide.

Fernando Hernandez
Software Engineer
Harris Corporation GCSD
321-729-3413