[Live-devel] Sample code in LGPL

Hans Peter hpmail75 at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 10 06:12:29 PDT 2007

Hi Ross,

Your LIVE555 Streaming Media library is LGPL, and that is really
great! Thanks so much. I noticed, however, that the sample code also
has the LGPL note in the source files.

I want to use your library in a project that is not open source, so I
put the whole library into a Mac OS X .framework and link to it
dynamically. This works well, and I could then release the source
code for the framework if anyone asks. The problem is that the code
that calls into the framework is based on the sample code, with some
of the functions (initialization etc.) being really identical to the
sample code; I'm afraid this appears to be against the LGPL
requirement of not directly linking against LGPL code.

I could now write another abstraction layer on top of the sample code
and put the modified sample code into the framework. It would be much
easier, though, if you could release the sample code as public
domain, without the LGPL restrictions. Is there any chance of that
happening?

Thanks,

hp