[Live-devel] trick play errors - possible diagnosis

Andrew Stone stondage123 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 11:30:30 PDT 2007

Ross,

I am not sure of this, however I think this may be the problem with the trick play. I don't know if this helps or not, but just wanted to alert you to this.

What seems to be happening is that when I play the dvd2.ts file the PCR is advancing beyond the PTS of frames to be displayed by VLC, thus making those frames' timestamps occur in the past. The decoder is then dropping those frames, because it doesn't know when to decode them. I believe the correct thing for vlc to do is to adjust the PTS of those frames somehow so that they can be displayed based on the latest PCR, or something of this nature. I need to look into it more. Furthermore, I need to fix this backwards PTS stuff soon, so I will  be working on implementing this in VLC. This is independent of my trick play needs for kno. We mainly need it for splicing and other stuff. This may allow playing of dvd2.ts. as a bonus though.

Mainly, what I'm saying is that the live555 trick play code may be correct, and VLC just can't handle the generated ts streams properly( if this is the problem of course).

I will be contacting the vlc team about this.

Thanks for all the hard work.

-Andrew