[Live-devel] openRTSP's CPU Usage

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jul 24 03:06:53 PDT 2007

>I am running openRTSP to test a streaming server and am running into
>some CPU usage problems.  The client is a 533 MHz PowerPC machine
>with 256 MB RAM running Linux.  Apparently the client is not
>powerful enough for openRTSP, as every time I run it see 99.9% CPU
>usage by openRTSP and there is anywhere from 10 - 30% packet loss.
>I have eliminated the server as the source of the problem, as
>streaming the same file to a more powerful Linux computer or a
>windows PC using VLC results in no problems.
>
>My question is two-fold:  How feasible will it be to modify openRTSP
>to not eat up so much CPU, and where should I look to make the
>changes?  The video file is a 10 megabit/sec video file (1.25
>megabyte/sec), and you'd figure a 500 MHz machine could handle such
>a stream without such dramatic CPU usage?

Yes, you'd figure...

For me, one important piece of information in your message was that
you are seeing packet loss.  See the following message
	http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2007-May/006798.html
for a tip on how to increase the internal buffering that your OS uses
when receiving incoming network packets.  That might help.

Otherwise, I can't tell you why you are experiencing 100% CPU, as the
"openRTSP" reception code is basically quite simple: Just sit in a
loop, running "select()" on incoming network sockets.  You're going
to have to track this down yourself.  Remember, You Have Complete
Source Code.