[Live-devel] Problem in sending PAUSE and then PLAY request in openrtsp

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jul 24 03:19:12 PDT 2007

>We are using openRTSP Client to receive mpeg2 streams. When we call
>PAUSE and then PLAY request during streaming then
>  we observed function getResponse1() is getting called from two
>places simultaneously

No. Remember that the code is single-threaded.  It is not possible
for "getResponse1()" - or any other function - to be called from two
places 'simultaneously'.

What I suspect is happening is that you have requested RTP-over-TCP -
i.e., using the "-t" command-line option to "openRTSP".  There is
currently a known bug in the code that - iff you have requested
RTP-over-TCP - any response to a RTSP command - after the initial
"PLAY" command(s) - is not read by the RTSP client code.  Therefore,
iff you have requested RTP-over-TCP, then you currently can't do a
RTSP "PAUSE" (because you won't then be able to send a subsequent
"PLAY" to restart the stream).

(With regular, RTP-over-UDP, streaming, there are no known problems
with sending "PAUSE" (or other) commands during streaming.)