[Live-devel] RTCP socket blocking

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Jun 1 16:10:19 PDT 2007

>Is there a built-in assumption that the RTCP socket is blocking?

No.  Both incoming RTCP and incoming RTP packets are read
asynchronously, from the event loop, so their sockets don't need to
be blocking.

>  If I
>just change the code to make it non-blocking, will there be any ill
>effect on the session when such an RTCP packet is lost?

Probably not.

The best way to do this would be to add the line
	makeSocketNonBlocking(fGS->socketNum());
to the (currently empty) "RTPInterface::RTPInterface" constructor (in
"liveMedia/RTPInterface.cpp").  That way, it will work for incoming
RTP packets also.  (Although your application - as a RTSP server -
doesn't have any incoming RTP packets, other applications do.)

Please let us know whether that works OK for you.  If so, I'll add it
to the next release of the code.