[Live-devel] Multicast Q

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jun 12 07:55:35 PDT 2007

>I am using the 'testOnDemandRTSPServer' to support unicast streaming
>of MPEG transport streams to a PC running VLC.  This is working with
>no problems.  When I started the 'Live555 Media Server' was
>unavailable. Now I am interested in adding multicast support to the
>RTSP Server I'm running. From reading your responses to prior posts
>to this message board, neither 'testOnDemandRTSPServer' nor 'Live555
>Media Server' support multicast playback (I'm assuming this is still
>the case).  In order to support mutlicast,
>'testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer' would have to be integrated/started to
>allow the running RTSP Server to perform mutlicast playback.  Is
>this correct or has multicast support been incorporated into an RTSP
>Server?

Yes, our RTSP server implementation supports multicast streams.  This
is demonstrated in the various "test*Streamer" demo applications.
E.g., You can demonstrate this by uncommenting the line
//#define IMPLEMENT_RTSP_SERVER 1
in "testProgs/testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer.cpp".

>Does the existing RTSP Server & streamer software support
>the RFC's 2326's multicast example (below)?

Yes.

>   If it does would it be able to handle having the client set the
>multicast IP destination & port in the setup command?

No, because that is a silly idea.  It's the role of the server, not
clients, to choose whether - and with what address/port - a stream is
multicast.  See
http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2007-February/006273.html

>Is there a client already available that supports having the client
>setup the multicast destination & port

No.