[Live-devel] Multicast Q

xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com xcsmith at rockwellcollins.com
Tue Jun 12 08:48:08 PDT 2007

In order to support mutlicast, 'testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer' would have to
be integrated/started to allow the running RTSP Server to perform
mutlicast playback.  Is this correct or has multicast support been
incorporated into an RTSP Server?

As you will see in the mailing list, I already tried add multicast to the
On-Demand servers.  I would really recommend that you switch to using
unicast if you want to have On-Demand sessions.  The LIVE555 can use
unicast to "fake" On-Demand multicast sessions (send the same data to all
clients via unicast), so your users should not be able to tell the
difference.  I tried to dig through the code and see if I could implement
On-Demand multicast, but it would be a real pain to do without
changing/adding a lot of source because PassiveServerMediaSubsession
requires the Groupsocks setup before construction, among other things.
Also, it really does not make that much sense to implement.

Is there a client already available that supports having the client setup
the multicast destination & port

If you want to use the streamer applications, you will have to implement
this yourself in the RTSPClient class and also make a small change to
PassiveServerMediaSubsession, but it is not so bad to do.

xo