[Live-devel] Buffered MPEG2-TS to RTP how-to

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jun 19 14:47:33 PDT 2007

>I am trying to take a buffer of MPEG2-TS data which is constantly
>written to, and hook it up to live555 for output via RTP.

The best way to do this is to make your buffer an OS pipe, and then
just have your LIVE555-based application read from this.  For
example, if you write your MPEG-2 TS data to standard output (in one
process), and then pipe this to your LIVE-555-based application (in
another process), that reads from "stdin" (see below).

If you do this, then you won't have to modify any existing code
(except the name of the input file in "testMPEG2TransportStreamer").

>  I am currently basing my work on the testMEPG2TransportStreamer
>code, but obviously this was designed to stream a file.

Yes - however, the special file name "stdin" can be used to read from
standard input.

(I'm assuming that you're running a Unix system (including Linux).
If instead you're running Windows, then I don't know what you'd do
(although I think Windows has 'named pipes').)