[Live-devel] Buffered MPEG2-TS to RTP how-to

Russell Brennan rjbrennn at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 06:02:55 PDT 2007

I would love to be able to do this, but unfortunately this is just a small
part of a larger system, and I need to be able to call it with one command
line argument, so I can't use a shell pipe to do this (although I do think
that you method will be an excellent way to verify that my system as a whole
will work properly once all of the pipe code is in place).

Sorry if I seem to know so little about unix pipes, I'm not an expert
programmer by any means and I have never had to use pipes in the way that I
am attempting to use them.

Russell

On 6/21/07, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com> wrote:

> >Ok, after some hours of tinkering this (non-working) bit of code
>
> I think you're misunderstanding what I have in mind.  You should not
> have to change *any* existing LIVE555 code (except to change
> "test.ts" to "stdin" in "testMPEG2TransportStreamer.cpp").  Instead,
> just run your MPEG-2 TS grabbing code in a separate process (that
> writes to stdout), and just pipe it to "testMPEG2TransportStreamer"
> using the command line - i.e.,
>
>         yourGrabberApplication | testMPEG2TransportStreamer
>
> Alternatively, if your Transport Stream source is available as a
> named file (e.g., device), then just run
>         testMPEG2TransportStreamer < yourTransportStreamDeviceFileName
>
> (It baffles me that so many Unix programmers these days seem to know
> so little about pipes, filters, and stdio.)
> --
>
> Ross Finlayson
> Live Networks, Inc.
> http://www.live555.com/