[Live-devel] Lost packets

Luc Roels lroels at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 28 06:14:05 PDT 2007

Hi Ross,

I've been able to create a simple streaming server for my 'modified H.264' video encoder card and created a simple viewing client in just a couple of days using the livemedia library, and it might even have been faster if there was some good documentation available :-). Even so, Livemedia is great, to do this from scratch would have taken me several weeks. One more question though regarding packet loss. In a previous post you told me that I can detect packet loss by inspecting the presentation times at a higher level. I don't see how this can work properly? Suppose we are streaming live MPEG4 video using RTP over the internet. If a P frame isn't delivered because one or more of it's composing packets are lost, the client should stop decoding until it receives a new and complete I frame. I don't see how the client can detect the packet loss by simply looking at the presentation time. If the streaming server delivers a variable framerate then there is no way to know that a frame is lost by looking at it's presentation time or am I wrong? The only way to detect the frame loss would be if the higher level had access to the frame's beginning and ending RTP sequence numbers or am I mistaken? What would be the simplest way to detect this?

best regards,

Luc Roels