[Live-devel] Trick play support

Morgan Tørvolt morgan.torvolt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 04:12:19 PST 2007

> >* During the test, i ran a packet capture on the streaming server. The
> >packet capture showed very clean nice network traffic out from the
> >server during regular play, but during fast-forward, the bandwidths
> >jumped sky high, and sometimes exceeded 20 mbit/second on a VBR stream
> >with an average bitrate of 5mbit/s. Is this expected behavior?
>
> Yes, because the streams used for fast-forward and reverse play
> consist solely of I-frames.

I have heard that some kreatel boxes does not support high bitrates,
even bitrates that are far within specs. I have also heard rumors that
even some satellite channels need to be reencoded to lower bitrate for
the STB to be able to play them. Given such a high bitrates as here,
this does indeed sound like a kreatel issue.

I have myself observed that some tv channels streamed to kreatel boxes
has been reencoded, even on a fibre network. I cannot say the exact
reason for this, but high bitrate troubles comes to mind...

-Morgan-