[Live-devel] Trick play support

Ulrik Mikaelsson ulrik.mikaelsson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 05:37:18 PST 2007

> >However, there were some glitches, for instance video were quite a bit
> >distorted on ffwd with high scales, and the client crashed at a number
> >of times, during trick play operations.
> Only Motorola can help you with that :-)
Probably, but since I've been able to confirm trick-play on the client
using other server solutions, I were looking for ways to
reference-test the liveMediaServer using some other toolkit to better
push Motorola.

> >I've got two followup questions:
> >* Is there a "reference" client to try with, supporting trick-play.
> No, not really.  However, the Amino 110 set-top box is known to work.
Thank you for the tip. I think I have a 110 lying around somewhere at
work. Will be interesting to watch. :)

> >* During the test, i ran a packet capture on the streaming server. The
> >packet capture showed very clean nice network traffic out from the
> >server during regular play, but during fast-forward, the bandwidths
> >jumped sky high, and sometimes exceeded 20 mbit/second on a VBR stream
> >with an average bitrate of 5mbit/s. Is this expected behavior?
> Yes, because the streams used for fast-forward and reverse play
> consist solely of I-frames.
Is pre-encoding material for ffwd/reverse in the roadmap?